Building: Relationships, Businesses, Careers, Value, Trust.
At El Colombiano, we take our social responsibility seriously. We’re not interested in quick bucks or short-term deals. We’re here for the long haul, because we love what we do—and we choose partners who feel the same way.
Right now, we have commitments and we have goals. As our team of partners grows, we get closer and closer to reaching our goals. (Which is exciting, because once we’ve achieved those, we get to plan new ones.)
At every possible opportunity, El Colombiano pledges to do our utmost:
• To practice fair trade, from the smallest farms through to the largest retail partners.
• To work with partners who are committed to the principles and practices of sustainability.
• To work toward establishing an exclusively organic supply chain.
• To promote organic practices and support farms in their efforts toward obtaining organic certification.
• To prioritize and empower women-owned and/or operated businesses.
We are also committed to returning 5% of our profits (at a minimum) toward initiatives such as:
• Providing the resources of professional consulting and agricultural engineers to promote best practices for sustainability, eco-friendly sowing/harvest and efficiency.
• Funding education and workshops to help farmers identify potential pitfalls and other elements that can harm crops and companies.
• Presenting workshops in business administration, management and marketing for our supply partners.
El Colombiano is dedicated to our goal of supporting the schools that serve our farmers’ towns by developing curriculum materials that meaningfully educate students about the ways in which their familiar neighborhood coffee crop is beloved and valued around the world.
Colombia has been exporting coffee since the 1800s. When kids learn to appreciate what makes a truly good cup of coffee—and what that means—they can make informed choices about taking entrepreneurial ownership of the fruit of the land they live in. This strengthens the local culture around coffee and keeps the lines of commerce vibrant with fresh, new perspectives and ideas.